Skilled Migration Visa

There are currently several different temporary and permanent skilled migration visa options for people who are qualified, have work experience, and meet English language requirements. Each category of visa has different criteria that the business sponsor and the visa applicant must meet. 

Temporary Skilled Migration

Changes occurred to the temporary skilled migration visas. For new applicants, the 457 has been abolished and replaced with a new Temporary Skilled Shortage (482) Visa. 

This Temporary Skilled Shortage (482) Visa allows the holder to remain in Australia temporarily to work for their employer-sponsored visa in Australia in their nominated occupation for up to four years, depending on the occupation of the applicant. 

For people who have more specialized occupations and will only stay temporarily in Australia, there are other Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa options.

For people wanting to both work and travel, there are options for Working Holiday and Work and Holiday visas that our migration agent in Cairns can discuss with you. These come with certain conditions such as a limitation of six (6) months’ work with one employer. There are opportunities to apply for a second Working Holiday visa or an employer-sponsored visa in Australia. It is important that you know which visa option is the best one for you.

 Skilled Migration

Skilled Independent and Skilled State Nominated visas include :

The Employer Sponsored (186) visa. This  requires the applicant to have an occupation on the Medium and Long- term Skilled occupations list and to be sponsored for permanent residence.

The Skilled Independent State Nominated (190) visa is for permanent residence. The occupation must be on a relevant Skilled Occupations List (SOL) and is points tested. An  assessment of your points is available

Skilled  Independent (189) is for permanent residence, the occupation must be on an SOL and is points tested. While 65 points is the set minimum we recommend a higher score to be invited to apply for the visa.

In November 2019 new Regional Visas were implemented to encourage skilled migrants to work and live in Regional Australia, which is currently most of Australia apart from Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane.

  • Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) (494) visa  
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (491) visa

After 3 years the new Skilled Regional Permanent (191) visa for permanent residence will be implemented and those people who have held a Provisional Regional Visa and meet the requirements will be eligible to apply for permanent residence 

Migration Australia Experts are registered migration agents based in Cairns who can offer free Independent Points Test Assessments to assess eligibility for a permanent skilled migration visa through the skilled independent program for all of Australia. This includes the Skilled Independent (189) visa, Skilled Nominated (190) visa, and Skilled Regional (Provisional) (491)  visa. Please contact us for your free Independent Points Test Assessment today. 

These visas all have their own eligibility requirements that must be met before your application can be lodged. This also applies to the employer-sponsored visas, with Australian businesses needing to meet certain requirements before they can lodge an employer-sponsored visa application and having certain obligations once the visa has been granted.

It is important that you understand which visa option is the best for you in your individual circumstances, and a migration agent at our Cairns office can help you with this.

How Can Carol Shipway Migration Services Help You?

Our team has been dealing with skilled migration visas and migration services to Australia since 1998. We have extensive experience in preparing both temporary and permanent Queensland skilled migration visa application. Our team of migration agents in Cairns and Brisbane keep up to date with all the legislative and policy changes. 

We will work with you to identify and highlight your skills and experience to tailor your application and meet the criteria for the best skilled migration visa for you.
In both the temporary and permanent visa pathways, our services include:

  • Advice on how to meet the English language requirement
  • Resume preparation
  • Witness and certification of documents
  • Referral to trusted NAATI certified translators
  • Preparation and lodgement of Skills Assessment
  • Corresponding with Business Sponsors to prepare sponsorship and nomination applications
  • Preparation and lodgement of the visa application
  • Managing and corresponding with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection until, and after, a decision has been made.

Contact us today

Are you looking for migration services for Brisbane, Cairns, or anywhere else in Queensland? Contact Carol Shipway Migration Services on (07) 4041 1580 today to speak with an experienced migration agent in Cairns.

smwork and business